Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Ferrari XX Experience

I experienced a passenger ride in a Ferrari 599XX, it was beyond epic. I've written up my experience below but to jump to the good bit here it is on camera:


-------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last 6 months or so I've been fortunate enough to enjoy passenger rides in a vast array of incredible cars; legends like the McLaren F1, Ferrari Enzo and F50, dubious but interesting tunercars like the Mansory Aventador and Hamann SLS Roadster and also some obscure but wonderful machines like the GTA Spano, Savage Rivale Roadyacht and Exagon Motors Furtive eGT. A particular highlight that stood out was the KTM X-Bow - it took me completely by surprise but the lack of any helmet on my head did not exactly help!

However, Wednesday was something out of this world. It was something that would put all of the others in their place when it came down to the raw experience and drama. A short flight to Milan and on to Monza, the home of the Italian Grand Prix to be greeted with a paddock like this:


For those who are unfamiliar, the 30 599XX and 20 FXX cars are part of the XX Programme, where Ferrari completely look after the cars allowing you to have it brought to race days they organise through the year. These jump around the world taking in some of the greatest circuits that exist.


More recently Ferrari have introduced the 599XX Evoluzione package ('Evo') to upgrade from the 'standard' 599XX. We joked that the upgrade cost might be about the same as a new 458 Italia, well it is. For the money you get a revised bodykit and faster acceleration although the owners agreed the normal car was quick in the straights. It seemed about half had been upgraded so far:


The trip was by arrangement to take a look at this piece of kit, a 599XX; one of a total of 30 of the cars with a 7 figure price-tag that allows the owners a few days a year of driving ecstasy.


As the cars fire up in the pit straight, the cacophony of noise is absolutely mindblowing. These are serious racing cars.


Then when they head out to the track it gets even better, the V12s howling their way through the revs, the 3 different cars each bellowing distinguishable soundtracks with a most furious downshot sound like a gunshot as they approach the corners, during which the breaks start to light up in a firey glow you can't miss.


The atmopshere around the paddocks is very much one of family, there is a huge sense of respect in both directions between the owners and their guests and the Ferrari Corse Clienti team and mechanics. It's a fantastic place to be with everyone absolutely feeling the spirit of these cars; throughout the day the dramatic looks of the cars had me awestruck.



The moment I had been waiting for finally arrived, I was suited up in Ferrari gear and directed out to the pit lane where car #8 was shortly to pull in. The incredibly generous owner was willing to take me around for a few laps of the Italian circuit, I knew something special was ahead of me.


I was straped down and the rest as they say is history...


But that would be an unfair way to end, however as somebody not previously experienced in such high end racing cars it was what I expected, and then even more so. The car furiously accelerated away from the start line, immediately feeling the floor in front of my feet start to warm up; the cracks of the gear changes violently thrusting us forwards and the screaming noise all around. Every single second of my 10 minutes in the passenger seat was absolutely epic and not something I will ever forget and something I felt I would like to share.



No comments:

Post a Comment